Buckland is a small, rural, predominately agricultural community with a population of approximately 2,000 people in 20.06 square miles. Buckland shares a downtown business district, known as Shelburne Falls, with the Town of Shelburne. The Route 112 corridor bisects the town. Located in northwestern Massachusetts, Buckland is 10 miles west of Greenfield and is bordered on the north by Charlemont, the south by Ashfield and Conway, the west by Hawley and the east by Shelburne.
Bridge of Flowers, between Buckland and Shelburne in the downtown area. The former trolley bridge, connecting the two sections of the downtown area, was converted into a pathway of flowers in 1929.
Buckland Historical Society Museum, former schoolhouse on Upper Street in Buckland Center. Displays include early kitchen furniture, tools and photographs of local school groups. Open second and fourth Sundays of July and August, from 2 to 4 p.m. (413) 625-9763 for further information.
Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum, at 14 Depot Street. Dedicated to preserving and operating Shelburne Falls & Colrain Street Railway trolley car No. 10. This car was built by Wason Manufacturing Co. in Springfield MA in 1896. It was delivered new to Shelburne Falls and has never left the valley. For thirty years it served its namesake towns. For twenty years it crossed the Deerfield River on what is now the famous Bridge of Flowers. Saved by a local farmer, it spent sixty-five years as a chicken coop, tool shed and play house. Now, through the efforts of the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum, you can ride it in the same freight yard where it used to load and unload passengers, apples, mail, milk and other freight, one hundred years ago. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, from late May through October, 1 p.m. to 5 .pm. (413) 625-9443
Wilder House, on Route 112, old 1775 saltbox house, filled with memorabilia. Barn on premises, housing weaving studio and displaying old farm implements. Also a cobbler's shop. Operated by Buckland Historical Society, same hours as museum or by appointment. The Wilder Homestead Sampler is held annually the Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. Call 413-625-9763 for further information.
Buckland Recreation Area, 21 acres off Route 112. Basketball, softball, cross-country skiing, fishing, picnicking and nature observing. Season or day passes available. Reservations for large parties (pavilion rental). 413-625-6330
Buckland, like the rest of western Massachusetts, was originally incorporated as Hampshire County in 1662, while it was still inhabited by Indians.
Buckland was originally part of the towns of Charlemont and Ashfield. Its settlers had no established name for their town, and thus called it "No Town". Settlers arrived as early as 1742. Among the first settlers were the Taylor, Ward, Brooks, Carter, and Griswold families. Lt. William Putnam, Gardner Wilder, Lt. James Butler, Josiah Johnson, Col. John Ames, Enos Pomeroy and Daniel Trowbridge.
Othniel Taylor bought a large tract of land in the southeast section in 1742. With the help of Asaph White, he built and operated three sawmills on Clesson's River, the first of which was completed in 1769. Lumber from the original mill was used to build what may be the first house in Buckland, constructed in 1770, which was occupied by Taylor's son, Samuel, and Samuel's wife Esther (White). The house was located on a farm given to Samuel Taylor by his father in what is now Buckland center.
In 1779, residents of what is now Buckland found it inconvenient and sometimes hazardous to cross the Deerfield River to attend church, school and town functions in Charlemont, and therefore petitioned the General Court for incorporation as a separate township. The petition read in part, "Inhabitants of No Town being a Non incorporated State are in Consequence thereof Destitute of Gospel Ministry and Schooling and the means of providing and making Roads and all Other Town Privileges and Labour under the Inconvenance of being Taxed to Sundry Towns, and those of Charlemont being at the Extreme part of the Town some of which are about Six miles from Charlemont Meeting House, and all Separated from the main body of Deerfield River which is very Difficult to pass the greater part of the year and are therefore Destitute of Preaching and Schooling and other Town Advantages..."
The town of Buckland was incorporated April 14, 1779.